Thursday, September 6, 2007

the minnesota state fair





















Photos taken by andy at reference library: cakes and jams at the minnesota state fair. for some reason, i find these totally inspiring, specifically for twenty seventeen thoughts that are floating around in my head. ever since my idea for a french house 07 shirt was never realized (i digress: it would have been a shirt with horizontal lines across the whole front and a graphic of several multi-colored cups sitting on the line-aka-shelves), i've been thinking about stuff-on-shelves shirts. plus, lucy has always been inspired by cakes.

the blog is a picture album of lo-fi photos of random, usually old or nostalgic things, many images taken from ebay. it successfully tapped into my nostalgia-triggers when i saw The Ox-Cart Man post, one of my favorite books from elementary school (i liked it for no reason at all, in hindsight). the undercurrent of curiosity reminds me of cabinet magazine, but with less preoccupation with "taste" and eccentricity-- for better or worse(?).

another thing about reference library: all prejudices i have against horses aside, i like how the posting just below features a horse with the sole tag "beautiful." so sensitive-indie-artsy. i love it.

1 comment:

Lucy said...

I saw a shirt at fcuk which is slightly lamer for its indieness but it was birds on a wire over and over again on the shirt. It was pretty amazing. I would have purchased it but I didn't have $38.